Sunday, March 27, 2011

Springing Into WINTER

While the calendar says spring, the weather is screaming WINTER in protest! At least I know that with every day we are somehow closer to the warm weather that has to be in our future somewhere! Last week we got 6 inches of snow which promptly covered our grass that had just become visible in the previous week as our snow melted away. We had two warm days, even up to 60 degrees, and then winter struck again!

Thankfully, I'm still out there running but definitely ready to lose the winter running jacket, tights, gloves, and hats or ear warmers! Yesterday I ran 13 miles at 16 weeks pregnant, took me 2:02 at a 9:26 pace. Temps were in the 20's but more like 7 or 8 with the windchill-yuck!!! I'm really happy to be at this pace for my long runs and I know I will continue to slow down. Oddly I'm okay with my slowing pace because I know it's for a good reason and that it is temporary. My doctor says all of the running and other workouts I'm doing are perfectly fine because of my background. Good thing because if she didn't I think I would do it anyway! Ha ha! My 13 mile run was actually 2 minutes faster than the first half marathon I ever ran back in 1998! Much slower than my half marathon PR of 1:36 which was also some years back. (2004??) I love my Saturday long runs with my friends and I'm truly dreading the day when I won't be able to keep up with them anymore! But until then I'll keep rocking it out and enjoying the miles with them!

Fortunately, I can easily tell if I'm pushing too hard on the run because I'll get a little breathless and I know to back off a bit. It's so strange because I've never gotten breathless running! (unless at the end of 5K or really hard speed workout but you get my point...) It's also crazy how one day my body is just flat out slower and I'll run a 4 or 5 miler at a 9:30ish pace and then another day, like this past Friday, I run a 4 miler at a sub-9 minute pace. My pace Friday was 8:47 and my first mile 8:27. It's nice to have a day like that because it reminds me that this changing body is capable of running faster and after the pregnancy it will all come back.

On a baby note, we heard the heartbeat last week for the first time which was great. Not quite as much fun as the ultrasound but still cool to experience it. Next weekend I'm planning to run a 9 mile hilly race here locally which is a challenging course and a lot of fun. I won't be "racing" it but I'll be out there plugging away! Still out there 5-6 days a week running and logging between 30-35 preggo miles...yoga and spinning too about once a week...next week I'm hoping to drag myself to a pool workout-wish me luck!


6 comments:

Jen said...

Heartbeat... YAY! So exciting. You are awesome and just keep listening to your body. It will tell you.

I will be praying for you during your 9miler... hopefully I can race my 10miler, but just found an option for a brick on Saturday in prep for my first Tri, so that may make me run slower on Sunday... only time will tell.

Kate said...

you truly FLOOR me! wow, i think that is so awesome that you are able to run fast (to me!!) still and enjoy it! what a great experience this is for you to run while preggo. you're deliver should be "easy" from being so fit! well, i will pray so!

have FUN at your 9 mile race. you may see a lot of jaws drop when people see you running with baby in tow! i LOVE it!!!

Janet said...

wow.. cant imagine running and being preggo... I want to see belly shot...as you grow.. update me please...

heartbeat is awesome sound to hear.

Wendy said...

so impressed that you are running that pace while pregnant! i ran slower than that today, and i was happy with my time. :)

that's awesome that you got to hear the heartbeat! love that sound!!

enjoy your race!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Oh, yes, hearing their heart beat is wonderful! And it's great that you can run so many miles still. Have fun at the hilly race!

Amy said...

How Exciting! Brings back so many memories. No not the running part just the getting ready for baby! Good luck!
Amy Poe